Accountant (Concord, MA)
SmartBooks believes bookkeeping should be an asset, not the liability it is for too many small businesses. We developed a system that delivers a cloud-based technology infrastructure combined with the right mix of bookkeeping and controller services to provide a fixed fee accounting solution. Based in Massachusetts, we support clients throughout the state as well as clients nationwide and internationally. We are seeking capable, self-motivated people who share our values. SmartBooks continues to grow, and new opportunities exist for Accountants to join our team.
You will be responsible for making bookkeeping an asset for a number of different clients. Responsibilities vary by client and may include:
1. Accounts payable -- Record vendor bills to correct expense accounts and profit centers and manage payables process
2. Accounts receivable -- Generate and distribute customer invoices
3. Fixed assets -- Capitalization and depreciation schedules
4. Loan accounting -- Amortization schedules
5. Account reconciliation -- Reconcile bank, credit card and other accounts
6. Perform monthly close process for clients including accrual-based accounting
7. Create monthly financial reports
8. Administer the technology platform used by SmartBooks and assist clients with its use
SmartBooks has a results-oriented work environment. Accountants must be comfortable meeting measurable goals on a monthly basis, including but not limited to completing clients' monthly closes by the due date, delivering exceptional service in a profitable manner, retaining existing client relationships, and completing monthly documentation reviews.
Hours & Location
1. Full-time Accountants work 40 hours per week and must be available to clients Monday through Friday during regular business hours.
2. The workload may be heavier during the first half of the month due to month-end closes. January is a heavy month due to year-end closes and 1099s.
3. Initial training and on-board work will be done at company headquarters in Concord, MA. Subsequently you may work in the Concord office or from home, with occasional company meetings and training in Concord and/or occasional client site visits within Massachusetts.
4. We prefer employees live in Massachusetts. Consideration may be given to southern New Hampshire or northern Rhode Island.
Compensation and Benefits
1. Starting salary commensurate with knowledge, skills, and experience. Full-time salary (based on 40 hours per week) of $40,000 to $47,000 annually.
2. Generous paid time off policy.
3. Company-subsidized health insurance and 401(k) plan, with eligibility determined by work hours.
4. Monthly stipend to defray the cost of home high speed internet access.
Coursework through at least intermediate accounting is required. Bachelor’s degree in accounting preferred.
1. Experience with QuickBooks and good working understanding of most components
2. Experience with small businesses and/or non-profits
3. Experience doing a significant portion of the monthly close
4. Customer-facing experience a plus
5. Experience with government contract accounting a plus
1. Attention to detail, desire for structure and organization, assertiveness, and pride in high quality work
2. Professional verbal and written communication skills
3. Consistently and accurately follow established policies and procedures
4. Work independently to complete assignments, including knowing limits of knowledge and when to seek help
5. Manage time and work efficiently, primarily using computer applications not paper lists.
Please visit our job portal at ApplicantStack by clicking here. Once you arrive at ApplicantStack and submit your resume, you will be asked to take a brief pre-employment survey.
No calls or recruiters please.
This opening is closed and is no longer accepting applications