Director of Finance
|Title:||Director of Finance|
DescriptionHave you ever said (or even just thought) “I know it’s geeky, but I love accounting!”?
Do you feel an absurd amount of pleasure when a bank account reconciles on the first try?
Do you do a happy dance when you finally find the error that keeps that bank account from reconciling?
Do you enjoy the challenge of working with multiple clients, learning their businesses and helping them grow?
Are you computer & systems savvy and love learning new technologies?
Would you thrive in a workplace that offers you all of these things and gives you the flexibility to work remotely?
SmartBooks’ Vision is to become the most valued and most referred provider of bookkeeping and controller services to small and mid-size business in the Northeast by making bookkeeping an asset for our clients. In order to do that, it’s important that both our clients and our employees share our ASSERTIVE Values:
- Systems and Processes
- Spirit and Fun
- Efficiency and Productivity
- Valuable Reporting
We are looking for a full time Director of Finance. Our ideal candidate will be responsible for making bookkeeping an asset for some of our larger, more complex clients. Responsibilities will include:
- Financial accounting , reporting, and advisory for SmartBooks clients
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users and in accordance with GAAP.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with financial and accounting policies and procedures.
- Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation.
- Advanced client projects such as accrual accounting tracking sheets, consolidations, forecasting, and custom reporting.
- Inclusion in client meetings about specific accounting policies or advanced projects taken on by SmartBooks.
- Clients must perceive the Director of Finance as an authority.
- Resource and advisor to SmartBooks staff
- Review of monthly financial reports prepared by SmartBooks staff
- Team Leaders and Accountants will consult the Director of Finance when they have a question about accounting.
- The Director of Finance must be able to accurately answer questions regarding GAAP or know when the client’s CPA must be engaged.
- Staff will consult the Director of Finance when they need help developing policies and procedures to meet client needs
- Standard accounting responsibilities when needed for new client integrations, supporting clients with advanced needs, or covering for Senior Accountants when they are on vacation
- Accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Fixed assets
- Debt and equity accounting
- Account reconciliations
- Perform monthly close process
- Create monthly financial reports
- Administer the technology platform used by SmartBooks and assist clients with its use
- Actively and regularly contribute to improving SmartBooks operations
- Consistently positive attitude
- Experience with QuickBooks and good working understanding of most components
- Willingness to learn additional accounting platforms, including Intacct and NetSuite
- Attention to detail, desire for structure and organization, assertiveness, and pride in high quality work
- Professional verbal and written communication skills
- Consistently and accurately follow established policies and procedures
- Work independently to complete assignments, while knowing limits of knowledge and when to seek help
- Manage time and work efficiently, primarily using computer applications, not paper lists.
- Several years experience managing GAAP accounting and financial operations in multiple businesses where GAAP compliance is very important and where there are diverse operational requirements.
- Ability to make pragmatic decisions about how to remain GAAP compliant while spending the minimum time on accounting
- Experience implementing accounting software systems such as general ledger, time and billing, expense reports, and document management
- Experience designing and managing accounting operations and staffing plans
- Command of accounting and finance principles and ability to discuss in both layman and technical terms depending on your audience.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required.
- Master’s degree in accounting / EA / CPA preferred.
And what do you get in return – besides the joy of working for a growing small business?
- We offer a full time salary of $75,000 to $90,000 per year, with the potential for an annual bonus.
- We have a generous paid time off policy.
- After your initial training, most of your work hours can be worked remotely from your home. (Please note that we are not 100% remote - local applicants only!)
- We offer Stock Appreciation Rights, giving you a stake in Smartbooks’ growth.
- We offer Blue Cross Blue Shield medical insurance and Delta Dental insurance – and we kick in for a portion of the premiums.
- We cover all premiums for short & long term disability coverage and life insurance through Lincoln Financial.
- We even have a 401K plan through ING.
- All employees are benefits eligible first of the month after date of hire – no lengthy waiting period for coverage!